Mosaics and mosaic making information
from The joy of shards Mosaics
The Royal Arcade was opened in 1899 and was built by George
Skipper, who was also the architect of Surrey
House and Cromer's Hotel de Paris.
There aren't any actual mosaics here, strictly speaking, but this
masterpiece of late Victorian design has "opus sectile"
stained glass and splendid Doulton tiles, amongst other features.
The window over the western entrance consists of shaped pieces
of coloured glass (rather than painted glass) and so is very much
like a mosaic.
|Detail of a bird from the stained
This motif in terrazzo stone pavement runs through
the arcade. Although it is in keeping, it is not the original
The art nouveau tiles were designed by WJ Neatby, who also
produced the tiles for Harrod's Food Hall and the Everard Building in Bristol (which has a number
of similarities to the Royal Arcade). They were manufactured
More pictures: page 2 page3